When You Need to Upgrade the Wiring in Your Home
6 questions to help determine whether you’re due for an upgrade:
1. How old is your house and what kind of wiring does it have?
2. Do you have sufficient power coming into the house for your electrical needs?
3. What are your possible future electrical needs?
4. Have you seen any of the warning signs of electrical fire hazards?
- Breakers that trip or fuses that blow repeatedly
- A tingling sensation when you touch an appliance
- Flickering or dimming lights
- A persistent burning smell from a room or appliance
- Warm, discolored, or sparking outlets
- Two-prong ungrounded outlets throughout the house
- No ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in kitchens, baths, and other areas exposed to moisture
5. Will your insurance carrier give you a discount for upgrading your wiring?
6. Do you want to add structured wiring?